Old September 23rd 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default cordless phone range

On Sep 22, 10:47*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
I have a 5.8GHz digital cordless phone system (two handsets and base
station) *that has reasonable range. *It works fine inside the house and
within about 30-50m of the house outside. *The house is steel frame clad
with cementitious planking and plasterboard lining, and has a steel roof.

Is it possible to improve the range of the handsets outside the house using
simple supplementary aerials or by relocating the base station? *If so where
might I find design details?

*I am competent with tools (I built the house) but don't know much about
radio.

David

That is about the same range I get on mine. I used to put my base
station upstairs to improve the range. This worked well enough to fill
some areas in my yard that were not covered. Some of the range
extending antennas for wireless routers may help. I think they are in
the same frequency range.

Jimmie