Old September 24th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
C. Andrews Lavarre C. Andrews Lavarre is offline

Default Icom RS-92 "product id"

Problem solved, no thanks to ICOM America:

how to construct the "Product ID" :

- Take the main body of the CD number minus the prefix and suffix,
add a dash and then the serial number from the CD.

- FOR EXAMPLE, if the CD number is CD-123456-789 and the Serial
number is 009876 then the Product ID is

123456-009876

ICOMAmerica did not, would not give me this information. I think
their policy is wicket stupit.

rant

If a guy has a ticket and has paid almost $750 for their gear and
the CD and still has the gear and the CD and the ticket, which is
FCC verifiable, then he is most likely legit. So their workers
should have the authority to give him the algorithm for constructing
the Product ID. Or just give him the numbers.

Their people need to figure out another way. Make the person
register with his call sign. Once he's registered then send him the
numbers.

No one with half a brain will hazard his ticket, especially an
advanced class, to steal a program, especially after having paid
$750 bucks. The present policy alienates a host of loyal customers
to try to foil a minority of idiots who are too cheap to
ever buy their products anyhow.

And furthermore... You can download the manual from ICOM America for
the radio but NOT the software!! I did find mod.dk that had a
scanned copy. But it is only a two pager and very sparse, although
it does give the algorithm above. The rest of the program? Sheesh...

Oh! And another thing. The cable that comes with the RS-92 software
is a SERIAL RS-232C cable. Good grief!! Who uses RS-232C? Only the
brain dead about USB... Needless to say, my laptop does not have an
RS-232C port. I've found a nice adapter at Radio Shack, now to see
if the software can recognize it... :-(

But again, Good Grief! If someone has given you all this money then
make their life easy!!!

/rant

So, they make great gear but are very short on customer
relations.... :-(

Yoh! ICOM! Do better!!!

Cheers, Andy