Old September 24th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
KD7HB KD7HB is offline

Default cordless phone range

On Sep 24, 10:37*am, Richard Clark wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:45:31 -0700 (PDT), KD7HB
wrote:

So, try running a wire from the phone base unit to the outside of your
house. Experiment with length and placement to see if you get improved
distance. *My electronic bell runs in the 300 MHz range, but may well
work for your unit, as well.

Any wire that is excited at a wavelength where the wire is
significantly longer than one wavelength, then this wire stands the
high chance of turning into an end fire antenna. *This means if that
wire goes up, so will the signal - straight up (with any number of
very minor lobes in all other directions).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi, Richard.
I learned of this trick many years ago, 1960's time frame. Portland
drilled a second tunnel through a ridge on West Burnside street,
making it two lanes each direction. Drivers began complaining that
their radio reception always went out when they entered the tunnel.
Duh!!! Everyone said nothing could be done, This was the way radio
worked.

One engineer said he could fix it. They mounted insulators in the
tunnel ceiling, and strung a wire the full length of the tunnel. On
the East side, they ran the wire up somewhere on the hillside. I never
was able to determine just where it went. The antenna picked up the
local am/fm signals and radiated them in the tunnel. Drivers could
continue to listen to the radio when they went into the tunnel. Volume
was reduced sometimes, but reception continued.

I wonder if hf and vhf ham radio operation is possible in the tunnel?

I see the same wire trick in other tunnels. The I-90 tunnels East of
Seattle have the wire.

Paul, KD7HB