Old September 25th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Aluminum as a ground system

Ed wrote:
If you're not convinced after reading the responses, turn on your
radio the next time a lightning storm is anywhere nearby -- or for
that matter, anywhere within skip propagation range. Then explain how
it is your radio is hearing DC.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I think we're arguing semantics on this. I spoke in pure terms... there
is no argument that Lightning itself is a DC current. The fact that it is
so short may bring the other RF issues to play, but that is not where my
thoughts were when speaking on the DC issue..

Ed

Semantics are important when the goal is communication.

Lightning induces extreme currents in nearby conductors, and radiates
strong fields covering a wide portion of the radio spectrum, both
characteristics of its RF content. High voltage DC transmission lines,
for example, don't. While you could correctly call lightning "pulsed
DC", it's certainly not correct to say it "isn't RF". As other folks
have pointed out, effective lightning protection requires a solid
understanding of its RF nature.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL