Old November 22nd 03, 09:26 PM
Clint

When I lived in Austin, a ham on the air gave me an
excellent possible solution to the problem of
annoying home owner association self-appointed
gods.

He had lived in such a "anti-antenna" residence
at one time that didn't allow him to erect any outside
antennas. Therefore, he put a dipole up in his attic,
took ALL filtering out of line that he possibly could
and put the largest amplifier his money could buy
inline and began blasting away.

Of course he got knocks on the door, and people
beginning to complain, but they no longer had a legal
leg to stand on due to the FCC's requirements that
nearly all electrical gizmos and doo-dads "accept
any interference that results from other nearby
operating .... blah blah blah..."

The ham then told the home owners that this
was the result of having to move an antenna to the inside
of his attic to remove it from site, and gave them some
mumbo-jumbo jargon about why it causes more
interference than having it outside and high in the air
(referring to his antenna). Of course, he simply didn't
mention the huge planet-busting amplifier or the fact
that he removed all his filtering that he possibly could.

The home owners, believe it or not, made an exception
for him, after all the residential complaints about televisions,
telephones, baby monitors, answering machines and everything
else getting tore up constantly from RFI.

I recommend more hams doing this if thier home owner
gods become assholes as well.

Clint