Old September 30th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Lawrence Statton Lawrence Statton is offline

Default Do SOLAs go bad?

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

Adam Stouffer wrote:

Its definitely 60 cycle. The supply runs a "super pressure" mercury arc
lamp for an optical comparator. Up until yesterday its had regular use
for years but now the lamp will not sustain an arc. The only problem
that stands out is seeing 60 volts on the caps rated for 150. Thanks for
the quick reply.

Get the data sheet for the arc lamp itself and see what voltages it is
supposed to have for starting and running. Then work back from there.

If I saw a low voltage on the supply filter caps I would check the
rectifiers before anything else.
--scott

It appears to me that OP seems to think that BECAUSE the caps are rated
for 150WVDC that 60V is "abnormal". 150% over-rate on caps is not even
noteworthy.