Old October 4th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
George Csahanin[_4_] George Csahanin[_4_] is offline

Default fractals and HDTV antennas

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:29:19 -0400, Registered User wrote:

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:46:28 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

Also, I note that "they" market HDTV antennas that are about the size of
a book. Do these things work? What's inside them?

One thing that has not been mentioned is most of the small HDTV antennas
(at least the ones I have seen) include an RF amplifier. W/o the
amplifier these antennas' performance is abysmal.

There's an interesting twist. We're finding that these amplified gizmo's
are creating problems. Too much signal for the amplifier, actually
degrading performance. And they amplify the local noise, which is much of
the real issue, Taiwan wall-wart supplies, etc...

And they amplify FM. Combine the right two FM's and you can wipe out
reception to a VHF high band TV.

It is amazing how mis informed so many people are.

Yeah, just ask the guy at Radio Shack. 50 years too late for that one to
have a chance.

GeorgeC