Old October 6th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default fractals and HDTV antennas

christofire wrote:

Mast-head amplifiers always were appropriate for 'fringe-area' reception in
the old days when there were fewer transmitters around. The dynamic range
issues occur closer to transmitters, of whatever type, whose signals get
into the front end. If someone puts up a TETRA (or equivalent for your
country) base-station near your house you might find amplifiers a lot less
effective.

Chris

For sure. I was on the verge of returning my last analog TV because it
wouldn't get one channel at all, and several others were very poor. But
then I got an idea and added an attenuator at the antenna input. Problem
solved -- got a great picture on all channels. The new HDTV has a better
dynamic range and can put up with the strong signals, so it doesn't need
the attenuator. I'm about 10 - 15 miles line of sight from urban
broadcast towers. I use a commercial TV antenna in the attic.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL