Old October 7th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Focused EMP pulse?

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:26:44 +0100, "christofire"
wrote:

If you believe that's the basis of EMP then I won't argue with your opinion.

Hi Chris,

Your statement implies that a "basis" can lead to some new unique RF
phenomenon.

If EMP is co-opted for some trendy single purpose definition that
denudes the former understanding of its general (and still no less
applicable) meaning, then, yes, we have descended into opinionated
belief systems which depend upon faith.

What you infer by "basis" is that this particular pulse (with the
unstated nuclear detonation, or an e-bomb as the initiator) is somehow
different from all other pulses. No, not in the least. By whatever
"basis," there are very ordinary formulas that allow for rise time,
fall time, pulse duration, magnitude, and such artifacts as ringing
(undershoot, overshoot, crest, and the rest).

"Basis" is not another engineering term for magnitude. What was
astonishing through nuclear detonation was corralled and managed into
an e-bomb, which is nothing more remarkable than clever engineering of
shorting a capacitor. Each of the three could be cleverly induced to
give the same RF signature - what price "basis?" It happens a
trillion times a day with all the microwaves ovens on this earth.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC