Old October 17th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default LOM Antenna

On Oct 17, 10:35*am, "J. Mc Laughlin" wrote:
Dear Group:

Still not as clear as it could be. *"Jimmie" is not talking about the 75 MHz
yagi pointing straight up that provides a reference cone. *The context seems
to indicate a non-directional beacon that operated in the 200 kHz region
using AM and a T antenna often supported by wooden poles. *See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locator_Outer_Marker

I recall, in an earlier life, 160 meters on a daytime-only AM broadcast
antenna at night.

73, * Mac * N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; *Michigan, USA
Home: "christofire" wrote in message

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Oct 16, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Hi Jimmie,

Inquiring minds want to know dept: You mentioned an LOM antenna.

Did that have something to do with aviation markers; loran or position
locators?

Rick
W9ZD

Aviation, one of the first grunt jobs I had after working with the FAA
was the decommissioning of an LOM site. The took out the equipment and
the building but the antenna was there for several years. I didnt have
a place I could put up a decent antenna so I would grab my 100 watt
Icom and MFJ tuner and ride out to the site. I do mostly radar work
now.

Jimmie

http://en.mimi.hu/aviation/lom.html

Chris- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, the device in the pictue is usually just called a OM, MM, IM
dependening on its position and has evolved from a wire antenna from
when I got into the FAA to the double Yagi to the single Yagi . I
havent been out there in a long time but I think there is a single
yagi OM there now and all the wooded area is now turned in to condos.

Jimmie