Old October 19th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Antenna Pattern: Carolina Windom

Jim Lux wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:

Thoughts?

Maybe time to download EZnec?

The OCF antenna can work very well. I put one up once because the
place where the coax dropped was really handy to my shack entrance. It
worked "well". I did some QRP into California on 80 meters during a
contest, and I worked what I heard. That doesn't specifically mean
that the antenna performed well, but it does mean that I worked QRP
into California on 80 from the middle of PA.

How will you model the radiating feedline? I suppose one could just put
a "wire" in the model to represent the coax shield (which is what
radiates) and tie it to something useful. Someone's probably figured
out what the equivalent impedances are for the "isolator" and "balun"
that form part of that antenna. Maybe googling "NEC model Carolina
Windom" might turn up something useful.

That's pretty much what I would do re the wire. I suspect that the
pattern would be complex in any event. Richard was closest to correct
when he advised to listen to the manufacturer.

At first blush, I would think that the antenna is probably not far from
omnidirectional, but the horizontal component might skew it a bit. Any
rate, I don't think that his issues with working EU are antenna related.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -