Old October 25th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bill Baka Bill Baka is offline

Default IBOC - FM HD-Radio Will Come-of-Age Around 2015

dave wrote:
RHF wrote:

FM HD-Radio will come-of-age around 2015
the American Public will have "Spoken" as to
whether Radio Listeners have Adapted to FM
HD-Radio and it's HD-2 Channels.

Radio, as a for-profit entertainment medium, is rapidly dying.

This is a bad trend in my view. Nobody needs HD radio and the FM I get
now is just fine. I can't tell the difference between 1% distortion and
0.01% and my ears are fine. It's all bull**** to me.
HDTV is only 2M Pixels, so whoopee for that, too.
If they go to digital AM then we will have a real shortage of engineers
in about 15 years. I got hooked by building ever better crystal sets
starting at 8 years old.
Take that away and most kids will never start tinkering.
It may be too late anyway, since the last kid's stuff seems to be those
stupid Radio Shack '100 projects in one kit' sets.
Bill Baka
Watching the end of an era.