Old October 26th 09, 05:20 PM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
HD Radio Farce HD Radio Farce is offline

Default HD Radio - Trend to watch: Team-branded HD2s !!

On Oct 19, 1:20*pm, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:
"HD Radio Farce" wrote in ...
On Oct 17, 2:40?am, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:

"Watchin & Waitin'" wrote in

"HD Radio Farce" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 1:35?am, "Jo Jo Gunn" wrote:
Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
public...and virtually all stations are protected within their
contours.

That doesn't mean there's no interference. ?It's amazing how the
proponents of HD Radio assume that receivers magically quit receiving
signal once they leave a station's protected contour.

No, the FCC has made a judgement on how far and how long a stations
signal
would be protected.

That's the established standard. ?The days of clear-channels being
protected
nationwide are over.

Plus, to the average listener an HD carrier sounds like white noise &
they
think it's weak signal. ?Nobody thinks to complain about
interference.
They just move on to something else.

The large broadcast companies do engineering research and audience
research.
There has been no widespread complaints (if any at all), and there is
no
indication that people "move onto something else".

I've heard on and on about how great the HD-2 formats are going to
be,
but
all I've observed is more lame cookie-cutter radio taking away the
reception that I once enjoyed.

THe formats on HD are quiite similar to what was on FM in the early to
mid
60's. ?Music intensive, non-commercial, some simulcasting to improve
coverage, and mostly automated.

The audio quality is nothing to write home about either.

The public has had no complaints about HD audio quality. ?And like the
qualities of MP3's, which is "nothing to write home about" either, it's
"good enough" and the public isn't complaining.

But HD radio has caused us to adapt. ?My wife & I listen to web radio
more
than terrestrial radio now, since there are fewer choices on the
dial.

I'd be interested in knowing where you are, and what station(s) you can
no
longer listen too due to HD radio.

"Dave Barnett" wrote in message

Jo Jo Gunn wrote:

There has been no widespread interference complaints from the
public...and virtually all stations are protected within their
contours.

That doesn't mean there's no interference. ?It's amazing how the
proponents of HD Radio assume that receivers magically quit receiving
signal once they leave a station's protected contour. ?Plus, to the
average listener an HD carrier sounds like white noise & they think
it's
weak signal. ?Nobody thinks to complain about interference. ?They
just
move on to something else.

I've heard on and on about how great the HD-2 formats are going to
be,
but
all I've observed is more lame cookie-cutter radio taking away the
reception that I once enjoyed. ?The audio quality is nothing to write
home
about either. ?But HD radio has caused us to adapt. ?My wife & I
listen
web radio more than terrestrial radio now, since there are fewer
choices
on the dial.

Dave B.- Hide quoted text -

?WOR clobbers WLW, WLW clobbers WOR, WBZ clobbers WHO, WCBS clobbers
WWL, WBBM clobbers WABC, etc...

but you left out the important element....where!

if this is dx...then please realioze that the fcc and owner/operators
does
not care about dx-ers and hobbyists.

you are trying to hang onto the past.

I notice he didn't respond.- Hide quoted text -

Listener complaints

http://stopiboc.com/documents/iboccomdments.pdf

Wow...more anonmous complaints...on an anonymous blog!

Don't you love the internet!

Keep us chuckling HDRF!- Hide quoted text -

stopiboc.com is not an anonymous blog - if you visited stopibc.com you
would see thatr it is run by Bob Savage WYSL. Like Struble, you talk
out of your ass:

"HD Radio Initiatives: Today's New Opportunities"

"Struble began the session by citing the latest HD radio sales and
broadcaster data. He noted that while sales of HD Radios are sharply
increasing, especially with the new portable Best Buy Insignia and
Zune HD models, the economy and declining station revenues have slowed
adoption a bit on the broadcaster side. We’re selling millions, but we
need to be selling in the tens of millions.”

http://tinyurl.com/yjpsuvz

"Struble: Radio Is the Last Analog Medium Standing"

"Insignia HD — I think this will be a nice little interim step for
jogging or working out. It proves the viability [of the technology]
and hopefully we'll get sales; but no, this is not going to sell in
the hundreds of thousands... Radio alone — the sad reality of where it
is — as a standalone device, it just doesn't exist anymore as a
category. Nobody goes into Best Buy and says 'Where's the radio
department?'"

http://www.rwonline.com/article/87370

So, which is it, Bob Struble? I think we all know the answer - LOL!