Old November 1st 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Krypsis[_2_] Krypsis[_2_] is offline

Default Setting Your Clocks Back

wrote:
On Oct 31, 12:59 pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Why? I thought GMT/UTC was constant throughout the year?
Noooooooooooo! That changes as well.

You are confusing UTC/GMT with the time used in the UK. While the usual time
used in England, Wales and Scotland is the same as GMT, in the summer they
switch to BST (British Summer Time).

Geoff.

GMT is a "Reference" time and does not change. Every other timezone has
an "offset" to the reference (GMT) and the offset for British Winter
Time is "0 hours"

Didn't the switch from BST to GMT take place last weekend (October
25)? He is as correct about this as he is about his self-appointed
title of 'Ace'.

Yes, you are correct. My friends in the UK are now 11 hours behind us as
we are on AEST and they have just come off BST either last weekend or
the weekend before. The time difference plays merry hell with our Skype
sessions.

Krypsis