Old November 1st 09, 03:07 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Bill Baka Bill Baka is offline

Default HD Radio - Trend to watch: Team-branded HD2s !!

D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 10/31/09 14:09 , Bill Baka wrote:
HD Radio Farce wrote:
What I fund amusing, is that everytime I post, you counter-post with
nothing but personal attacks. Your lack of understanding of technology
is readily apparent.

*Learn to snip*

It would be nice to see an HD 'build your own' from Radio Shack.
Never gonna happen.

Like DRM, HD would require a licensing fee for the decoding algorithm.
"Build Your Own" would have to come in a pre licensed kit form. 'The
Shack' is interested in serving neither the market for kit builders, nor
the HD radio market enough to take on that cost.

This is why I hate the shack, they killed the competition and rather
than buy parts when you walk in a sales 'person' tries to sell you
something you don't want. I just say something seriously technical and
the kid runs to look it up. Heathkit, Eico, Conar (televisions),
Lafayette, and more were somewhat healthy into the mid to late 1960's
when a little thing called radio shack came along and catered to the
lazy Americans who stopped buying parts and went to the shack.

Like all SCA in the late 60's and early 70's, HD is a novelty to those
with the kit building mentality, and not of any real substance. I built
an SCA adaptor kit back then. It was amusing to hook into the back of my
10 transistor FM radio and get something other than the baseband audio,
but never provided any serious listening. Just about everyone had one of
those SCA adaptor kits in their catalogs back then. And Popular
Electronics, and Popular Science had instructions for rolling your own.
Never caught on.

SCA always impressed me as much as elevator music, or maybe that is what
it was for?

Bill Baka