Old November 1st 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Hammarlund SP-600, help me to identify which version is...

"moreradio" wrote in message
.. .
I'm the proud owner of a nice SP-600, unfortunately it is
without tags, can someone help me to identify wich version
I have?
Here below some details:
-Non-mil radio no yellow anti-fungus varnish at all;

-Disc capacitors, no black beauty;

-The antenna connector looks to have been factory modified
to an SO-239 style to accept coax cable;

-Crystal deck with crystals

-Dial lock

-Gray front panel, white letters engraved.

thank you

Claudio

This is not enough information. There is a great deal
of information on the web, do a Google search for sp 600 jx
to find it.
There were more than twenty variations of the SP-600
made, most nearly alike. The total production was on the
order of 25,000 units. Your description fits most of the
receivers with exception of the VLF special, the JX-17 (has
two extra switches and three small red knobs) and those made
without the fixed frequency crystal unit. All have very
similar circuitry.
The receivers should have a name plate on top of the
tuning capacitor cover with serial number and version type
on it. These are somtimes missing.
The disc capacitors were used in receivers built after
the mid fifties but a great many earlier receivers built
with Sprague Black Beauty caps were modified due to the very
high early failure rate of these caps. Also many receivers
were modified to have the SO-239 connector rather than the
balanced coax connector originally used. All of the JX-17s
had these from the factory.
I am pretty sure the anti-fungus treatment was applied
after market and not all receivers have it. Actually this is
an advantage if you have to work on the thing because the
anti-fungus is very difficult to get off and often glues
things together.
At least one of the web sites has a list of versions
although its not quite complete.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles