Old November 3rd 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

Default Capacitor failure report

On Nov 3, 10:49*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Engineer wrote:
The cap is one of several marked "Solar TYPE [blank] *MADE IN USA *.1
MFD 400 VOLTS DC *GRD (at one end)" *It has a rectangular brown
plastic case (bakelite?), about 1 3/8 x 5/8 x 5/16 inches in size.
There are several of these in the set, some but not all are under B+.
I'll be watching them. *I presume this is a mica cap but others may
know better.

It's paper.

If you have ANY of these in any location where they can take out an IF
can when they fail, PLEASE replace them now. *The Xicon film caps are
cheap and seem reliable.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Thanks for all replies. Yes, it's paper! The dielectric is super
thin, brown, translucent (likely impregnated), skin-like paper with
very low tensile strength - I did not test for burst and tear but will
certainly be low!
I plan to replace all of these that are under any B+ stress before
further restoration. I'll be using modern 0.12 uF, 630 volt, black
plastic, rectangular caps (Korean made.)
Rare original IF's saved, Scott... and lessons learned!
Cheers,
Roger