Old November 4th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill Baka Bill Baka is offline

Default SX-28 Power Transformer

Paul_P wrote:

Guys,
I designed test equipment and then more stuff to test the stuff we
were building, so here is what I did for the test floor stations. The
power had 2 settings, one for first power had 25 Watt Christmas tree
bulbs in series and a bright light meant trouble, but at least saved
the smoke routine. The second setting was straight power for the final
test.
Simple?

Bill Baka

That be called a Dim Bulb tester. Not referring to the user but the
device. See hw to make one here at:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

Paul P.

Like I said, it isn't rocket science. At home I use a Variac and a Fluke
77 on current range (20 Amps) to monitor it. I got lucky and have one
with a housing and voltmeter (5 Amp). On a new find I also use a light
bulb to protect my Variac. All you need to make is the light bulb
fixture and the above URL from Paul_P points to a picture of a good
example. With a Variac the switch can be eliminated.

Bill Baka