Old November 5th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Capacitor failure report

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Engineer wrote:

Thanks, Bill. I've used these rectagular black plastic
0.12 (and
0.18) caps for a while now as coupling caps in various
amplifiers and
radios with no problems - virtually zero mV positive
voltages measured
on any g1's. I have a bag of each, acquired from a
retired EE and
radio hobbyist. Also used them for RF decoupling in
radios, again no
problems.
Cheers,
Roger

Roger,
I have an old Echophone on my computer desk right now and
the bottom is missing as well as the back. It has normal
round resistors, octal tubes, and 5 wax covered paper
caps. There are other caps that look near the same but no
wax on them. Could be the wax oozes out after 60 years or
so. There is a foil .25uF @ 200V and 2 electrolytics at 80
uF @ 150VDC and a 30uF @ 150VDC.
I have a Heathkit cap checker and a Fluke 77 for checking
the resistors so next comes the fire up and check for
noise. It isn't, as I always say, rocket science, but a
fair amount of work.
Of course a schematic would have been nice but I think I
can trace it out with not too much problem. There is a cap
dangling but I think I know where it goes.
My new, small project.
Thanks for listening.
Bill Baka

I am pretty sure that there are some Echophone
schematics on BAMA or Nostalgia Air. Echophone was bought by
Hallicrafters at some point but they continued to make
Echophone products for a time. The famous Hallicrafters S-38
series appears to be based on the Echophone.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL