Old November 9th 09, 12:11 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
atec7 7 atec7 7 is offline

Default Matching impedance with coax

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:33:19 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that the fairly long and exposed
leads at the connector, are perfectly acceptable for low frequencies
(HF) but are NOT acceptable for microwave work at 2.4GHz. The exposed
wires are inductors and/or radiators. My guess is there's a total of
about 4mm of exposed conductor. With a wavelength of 12.5mm, that's
1/3 of a wavelength. Before hitting the balun (or whatever that's
suppose to be), most of the RF will be radiated by the exposed section
of the coax, not the antenna.

Ok, let me try again, this time while not talking on the phone, eating
lunch, and watching TV.

One wavelength at 2.4Ghz is 12.5cm. Guessing from the photo, there's
a total of about 15mm of exposed conductor. That's about 1/8th
wavelenth, which will still radiate rather badly, but not as badly as
I previously erroniously assumed.

Assuming the radiator is actually resonant then the vswr doesn't really
matter but as you point out the exposed centre conductor will radiate
badly and certainly not a design to be emulated by effectively stopping
the reflected rather than matching correctly .