Old November 9th 09, 02:17 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Matching impedance with coax

Odd multiples of 1/4 wavelength will neatly transform the endpoint
impedances according to:
Zcoax = sqrt (Zin * Zout)
or
Zcoax^2 = Zin * Zout
So, with a 50 ohm load, 75 ohm coax, and 3/4 wavelengths of coax:
Zout = 112.5 ohms
which is a bit closer to what I would expect to see with a folded
dipole antenna.

Another thing to note: based on the pictures posted today, the DE
isn't all that close to being a classic folded dipole, with
close-spaced segments. The segments are much more widely spaced... it
looks to be about half-way between being a folded dipole, and a
one-wavelength loop such as might be used in a Quagi design.

This is going to significantly change its free-space impedance, I
would think. An FD would be around 300 ohms, a one-wavelength
circular or square loop would be somewhere in the general neighborhood
of 100 ohms.

This DE may not need as much impedance transformation (from coax) or
proximity reduction (e.g. from a reflector and one or more directors)
than a classic FD would, to achieve a decent match to a 50 ohm coax.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO