Old November 9th 09, 04:11 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Matching impedance with coax

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:46:16 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

High VSWR also
has highly undesirable side effects such as, mangled gain pattern,
radiation from undesired conductors, loss of gain, and loss of
efficiency. Resonance is a good thing, but not absolutely necessary
for proper operation. Resonance would be where the reactive
components are zero. Since I don't see any adjustment(s) to tune out
(resonate) the inductances introduced by the relatively long exposed
coax leads, I don't think this antenna is particularly close to
resonance.

This is very problematic.

High SWR may be a product of unintended radiators (like the pigtail
going from the choke bead to the feed point), but far-field radiation
lobe pattern shape is NOT affected by SWR due simply to mismatch.

There's a lot going on in that statement, so I'll try it again this
way:

Added, unintended radiative elements cause mismatch AND pattern
distortion AND gain reduction (to the degree of mismatch). This is
the basis for concern about the pigtail.

A perfectly implemented design that presents an Z other than that
expected (mismatch) causes gain reduction (to the degree of mismatch).
The pattern's shape is not altered except that its gain values at any
angle are depressed equally by the degree of mismatch.

Resonance is desired for match AND efficiency.

Going further:

The degree of pattern distortion is a complex function of this
additional pigtail radiator. There is every chance that it won't
perturb the pattern much unless you are very concerned about nulling
out interfering sources. It probably won't affect the match much
either as the driven element Z will probably swamp out the
contribution from the pigtail Z.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC