Old November 13th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Nordic Breeds[_2_] Nordic Breeds[_2_] is offline

Default Halli SX 100 Problem found, Need help with cause

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
m...

"tchrme" wrote in message
Partial success on this stubborn problem and it would have to be my
favorite rcvr too. I traced the thunderstorm crashing sounds down to
the 2nd converter subchassis. After I pulled it again, I replaced all
the caps and the resistors since it is such a pain to access. I
powered it up on test leads to the main chassis and still heard the
frying thunderstorms. A 22k resistor that I replaced was starting to
overheat and turned brown. I checked the one I took out and it too was
burned looking. So.... I need help on what would cause the overheated
resistor (R24). I can email a schematic to anyone who can help me out
on this. I double checked all wiring and parts were replaced one at a
time. Help. Thanks ahead of time. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Have you made tube socket voltage and resistance measurements?
This is a first step and will often point at problems. I've downloaded
the schematics for both versions of the RX, you appear to have the
earlier one (the 22K resistor is a different value in the later
version). I can't see an immediate suspect but any capacitor in a
position to draw current through the resistor is a suspect. While paper
caps fail mostly by developing a low series resistance I have
encountered shorted ones.

Both the Mark 1 and Mark 2 models have the 22K resistor in the Bama
schematics. I would check
both C24 and C26 but a leaky C24 is the most likely cause of overheating
in the 22K resistor. A
quick check on the plate and screen voltages of V5 should point you in
the right direction. A tube
socket extender is handy here, but carefully pulling the tube out and
carefully wrapping a fine wire
around the appropriate pins and plugging it back in will work. C28, C29,
and C30 should also be
checked. Silver migration in C28 and C29 could conceivably case the
noise too.

73, Barry WA4VZQ