Old November 19th 09, 10:18 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default Motorhome antenna

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:39:44 -0500, "Steve"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 18:56:48 -0500, "Steve"
wrote in :

-snip-
Beats me. The few 9' whips I've seen on RVs were bolted to the front
bumper. But anything you mount is going to hit something eventually.
And almost anything will work for local chatter under a mile, which
covers the vast majority of CB usage on the road. Once you park you
can screw on any stick that can be carried inside the RV and you don't
have to worry about hitting power lines. So it seems to me that a
whip-swapping system would give you the most bang for your buck. Heck,
if I had a two-piece 9' whip I could keep it stashed behind the seat
of my truck..... hmmm.....

Hello Frank, you just gave me an idea. The motorhome already has a short CB
antenna on it (sucks) for portable comms so I might try an A-99 mounted to
the ladder rack just for 'parked at the site' comms. They're three sections
so I could store the top two sections inside the home when not in use. Like
you say...hmmm..

Thanks for your input, Frank.

Heck of an idea. Kinda wish I had thought of it myself. Just don't
forget that the A99 is a half-wave, so don't expect it to tune like it
does on the roof. You might have to spin those rings quite a ways
before you get a decent match.