Old November 19th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default CW Boatanchor Calling Frequency ?

On Nov 17, 10:30*am, "SX-25" wrote:
For years 3546 has served us vintage equipment aficianados well.
Unfortunately, largely due to their robbing us CW ops of most of our
exclusive 80 M spectrum, the middle portion of the band has filled with nets
and hams who seem only interested in collecting the membership numbers of
other members trivial little clubs. Very often the equipment we are using is
frail and low in power so we can't compete up against the Kensues and
YaeCOMs not to mention the gaggle of contester super ops that seem to own no
receivers. Although I appreciate every QSO, I must admit it is always more
fun when I am told the other station is using vintage gear. I am suggesting
we boatanchor enthusiasts move far away from the crowd and start using 3599
kc. Calling "CQ," "CQ BA" or just "BA" would alert this otherwise quiet
frequency that someone is there who is running fun gear to hear. Comments?

See you on 3599?

Don't know where you are (or even your call) but here on the East
coast 80M is only crowded on contest weekends.

I think you just might be complaining about the FOC event last
weekend, with your reference to numbers and such. Maybe you'd
appreciate googling "Second Class Operators Club" :-). http://www.qsl.net/soc/

On storm-free winter evenings 80M is a joy. Only problem IMHO is lack
of activity - seems to be the opposite of what you're complaining
about! Again, everything will be hopeless on a contest weekend. Well,
not completely hopeless, I did the NAQP and CQ WW DX with my HW-16
just two or three years ago.

Rather common for me to find (while I'm using my HW-16) others with
boatanchors, other Heaths, some Hammarlund and Hallicrafters and Eico,
and a smattering of homebrew tube rigs

3599 is an awkward frequency for the rock-bound BA users who probably
don't have a crystal there.

Tim N3QE