Old November 22nd 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

Default Will SW radios become obsolete?

On 11/22/09 11:23 , Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

The big guns have all abandoned SW to developed countries. BBC
still broadcasts to africa. DW, RNW and the others have moved to
satellite and internet distribution.

But as politics in the world heat up, SW will become an
important element of communcations again once tensions reach the
point where walls start going up. Internet streams can be censored.
Satellite radio can be shut off. That leaves terrestrial radio.
500,000 watts can't stopped at national boarders.

The Cold War was the reason for the pervasion of SW broadcasts.
Of course, there were jamming attempts. Some more successful than
others. But, the messages got where they were intended through radio
beamed in from out of country.

The technology isn't dead. It may be dormant, now. But it's not
dead. And when communications are down, Radio is one of the few
technologies that can be brought to bear quickly, and competently.
With organized traffic nets in every state.

So, no, SW radios are not obsolete. Nor will they be for some
years, yet.