Old November 23rd 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Will SW radios become obsolete?

dxace1 wrote:

As someone who has worked in the international broadcasting field for
more than 30 years, it's my opinion that shortwave, used for
international broadcasting, will indeed pass away.

It's certainly no joy for me to say that, as I was one of those group
of kids who grew up with SW in his veins -- and in fact, I still have
the addiction even in these days of rapid decline for SW.

But there is just no way that ANYONE in coming years will choose SW
over other broadcast media. And the promise of DRM has faded as well.

As a Perseus owner, I have to say that even SDR (Software Defined
Radios), in so far as they are used to receive shortwave broadcasts,
are already becoming pretty much useless given rapidly declining number
of broadcasts available -- perhaps Amateur Radio Operators and
intelligence agencies will continue to find SDR useful.

I predict it will pretty much be WIFI/Internet delivery, leaving those
of us who cut our teeth with DX-160's, SONYs and Hammarlunds, riding
what remains of SWBC until the end.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's the reality. On the bright side,
just think of how many great radios will be available for a song!

And ride it to the end we shall!

From one Djibouti traveller to another, good to hear from you!

dxAce (2)