Old November 23rd 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike K. Mike K. is offline

Default Will SW radios become obsolete?

On Nov 22, 12:23*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
With my recent purchase of a DX-394, I have again taken an interest in
SWL.

Upon seeing stations going to Internet only broadcasting, are we
seeing a trend where SW radios will become obsolete?

TMT

I doubt SW will ever become totally obsolete. It's enough cheaper to
recieve (compared to satelite or Internet transmission) that
broadcasts to the developing world are likely to continue for a long
time and it's enough cheaper to transmit (for semi-developed countries
like Russia which have all the gear, but don't have massive amounts of
dirt-cheap Internet bandwidth capacity) that they'll continue
broadcasting for quite some time too. It's a shame that the great
Western European broadcasters no longer beam a signal at North
America, but as long as you stay away from the new and just listen to
the music and cultural programming, stuff like Voice of Russia, RCI
and Radio Havan is pretty fun.

Mike