Old November 24th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Shortwave for cars?

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 10:34 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

Indeed. I had a g/f years ago, with an X1/9. She couldn't keep it
running for love or money. I spent a weekend going through that
drive train and rebuilt everything I could put my hands on.

Fired it up and took it out for some break-in driving.

VERY serious fun. Not too unlike that 914/6 I was driving at the
time.

I wouldn't mind owning one, myself, today.

The only thing I did to the car later on was remove the catalytic convertor and put some slightly larger
jets in the carb.

It was indeed a very fun car and I miss it like I miss my Dodge Dakota.

Ooohh...no doubt.

Damn near got killed in the Dakota on a Saturday afternoon just minding my own business.

Only two cars, well maybe three, I ever had totalled. My Opel GT was also totalled by a gal who was 'running
late'.

That's gotta hurt. I've only totalled one, myself. A '62
Studebaker GT Hawk. White over Riviera blue. 289 Quad/4 speed, floor
shift, and Twin-Trak Spicer (Dana) 44 rear axel. About 10 years ago.
I'd just finished the restoration. Like 24 hours before. Was driving
it to work when I was at CBS, and I got run into a bridge abutment
by a guy in a Tundra who ran me off the road on the Ohio feeder.

Screw yer crumple zones. That 900lb cast iron block/tranny damned
near wound up in my lap.

That's kinda what happened with the Opel! Wasn't going very fast, the gal I could see was looking right at me in
her station wagon, then suddenly pulled out from the stop sign. Nailed her right between the doors. Engine in the
Opel was coming up through the dash. And, she had I think two kids in the rear seat.

I had just had the car rebuilt.