Old November 24th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

Default Shortwave for cars?

On 11/24/09 11:22 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

On 11/24/09 10:34 , dxAce wrote:

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

Indeed. I had a g/f years ago, with an X1/9. She
couldn't keep it running for love or money. I spent a
weekend going through that drive train and rebuilt
everything I could put my hands on.

Fired it up and took it out for some break-in driving.

VERY serious fun. Not too unlike that 914/6 I was
driving at the time.

I wouldn't mind owning one, myself, today.

The only thing I did to the car later on was remove the
catalytic convertor and put some slightly larger jets in
the carb.

It was indeed a very fun car and I miss it like I miss my
Dodge Dakota.

Ooohh...no doubt.

Damn near got killed in the Dakota on a Saturday afternoon
just minding my own business.

Only two cars, well maybe three, I ever had totalled. My Opel
GT was also totalled by a gal who was 'running late'.

That's gotta hurt. I've only totalled one, myself. A '62
Studebaker GT Hawk. White over Riviera blue. 289 Quad/4 speed,
floor shift, and Twin-Trak Spicer (Dana) 44 rear axel. About 10
years ago. I'd just finished the restoration. Like 24 hours
before. Was driving it to work when I was at CBS, and I got run
into a bridge abutment by a guy in a Tundra who ran me off the
road on the Ohio feeder.

Screw yer crumple zones. That 900lb cast iron block/tranny
damned near wound up in my lap.

That's kinda what happened with the Opel! Wasn't going very fast,
the gal I could see was looking right at me in her station wagon,
then suddenly pulled out from the stop sign. Nailed her right
between the doors. Engine in the Opel was coming up through the
dash. And, she had I think two kids in the rear seat.

I had just had the car rebuilt.

Oh, now that's just a crime.