Old November 26th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
WA4VZQ WA4VZQ is offline

Default 3:1 range VCO and varactor RF voltage swing

"lw1ecp" wrote in message
I saw one with a modified Wien-bridge that had an AGC (...)

Thanks Bill for your immediate answer!. Yes, RC oscillators have
impressive f spans: you change R or C by 10:1 and f changes 10:1, not
its square root. But... my needs go into the many hundreds MHz, sorry,
I have to stick to LC oscillators.

I remember what was known as a "seven league oscillator" which derived
its name from the folklore of "seven league boots". The design was
discussed in one of my old 1930's vintage vacuum tube books. If I
remember correctly, one such oscillator covered from a few Hertz to
several MHz. Unfortunately I am in SC and my library is back in
Tennessee.

My memory may be wrong, but I think the book was "Functional Circuits and
Oscillators" by Herbert Reich.

73, Dr. Barry L. Ornitz WA4VZQ