Old November 26th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default 3:1 range VCO and varactor RF voltage swing

lw1ecp wrote in news:a6888c2a-b312-443b-ae70-
:

snip
- Artie and Barry: I knew the heterodyne way of getting broad coverage
thanks to the old Wavetek 2000 Sweep/Signal Generator. This is also
used in tracking generators for spectrum analyzers. But keeping
unwanted mixing products low is an art. Maybe later.

No big deal. Use two high freqeuncy oscillators (one fixed, one
tunable), say around 2 GHz. When you mix them, the difference freqeuncy
gives you the low freqeuncy you want, and the sum freqeuncy will be
around 4 GHz & easily filtered out. The higher order terms that might be
an issue will be things like three times one minus twice the other. A
little care with your frequency plan & a good mixer & you should be fine.

There is a free DOS executable mixer spur calculator buried in with the
MARTHA/LLAMA APL CAD softwa
http://www.marthallama.org/
The program is MIXSPUR.EXE, and is included in the LLAMA distribution. It
is documented in the LLAMA manual. No APL is required.

If folks are interested, I could put together standalone documentation on
MIXSPUR & park it and the executable on my personal website.

Doug White