Old December 5th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
sctvguy1 sctvguy1 is offline

Default Knight StarRoamer Working Great!

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:48:13 -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:

"sctvguy1" wrote in message
Just got this radio, all restored, recapped, etc. Four tubes and a
selenium rectifier. Great sensitivity on the BCB, pulling in tons of
East Coast/Mid-Atlantic Stations from here in South Florida. Never
knew
a cheapie could be so fun! Of course, my first radio was a
Hallicrafter's S-120, a real dog, not even as good as this Knight
radio.
About the same as my S-38C in performance. Retro-listening is where
it's
at.

What sort of antenna did you use on the Hallicrafters
receivers. The Star Roamer has a built in loop and may well have done
better than a short wire antenna on the others.

When I got the S-120, I made my mother mad by climbing on her shake-
shingle roof and installing a long wire, from one peak to the next, about
50 feet, and about 15 feet up. This was in the mid 60s when I was in
high school. You are right, the Knight has the built in loop on the
cardboard back, and I use a Select-Tenna to help it out. The S-120 could
barely pull in the "big" players back in the day, BBC, Radio China, Radio
Moscow, DW, etc. On BCB, an old 5 tube AM table radio could beat it
out! My long wire, then, ran NW/SE. My wire now, that I have connected
to the Knight and my other boatanchors, is about 20 feet and runs NE/SW,
I am only one mile from the Atlantic here in South Florida.