Old December 9th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Horne[_2_] Tom Horne[_2_] is offline

Default Three Element Quad Reconstruction

I have to following quad parts that I got from a fella for whom I took
a tower down. Three spiders, twelve fiberglass poles, three small
copper coils, and a massive boom to mast fitting. I am wondering if
it might be worth rehabilitating the original antenna which is a tri
band 20, 15, 10 meter three element quad of unknown manufacture. I
have two AB-952 masts with extension kits that I use for special event
towers. I have a Hy-gain tri-band Yagi-Uda for one antenna but no
suitable antenna to top the other tower for field day, SET, and so
forth. I'm looking for insight from those who have actually assembled
quads. Is it practical, if one is well organized to use a quad as a
special event antenna? How long might it take to assemble once it is
fully assembled and tested and then carefully dismantled into a well
marked kit. I am open to hearing that there is an equal or better
performer that would be easier to assemble for a height of only fifty
feet. The positions I've read so far indicate a greater gain, a lower
take off angle at any given height, as well as a quieter receiving
performance for the quad. Naturally I would prefer real world
experience to a theoretical discussion partially because I am not yet
well educated enough in antenna theory to fully understand the
theoretical arguments.