Old December 10th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Three Element Quad Reconstruction

On Dec 9, 4:49*pm, Tom Horne wrote:
I have to following quad parts that I got from a fella for whom I took
a tower down. *Three spiders, twelve fiberglass poles, three small
copper coils, and a massive boom to mast fitting. *I am wondering if
it might be worth rehabilitating the original antenna which is a tri
band 20, 15, 10 meter three element quad of unknown manufacture. *I
have two AB-952 masts with extension kits that I use for special event
towers. *I have a Hy-gain tri-band Yagi-Uda for one antenna but no
suitable antenna to top the other tower for field day, SET, and so
forth. *I'm looking for insight from those who have actually assembled
quads. *Is it practical, if one is well organized to use a quad as a
special event antenna? *How long might it take to assemble once it is
fully assembled and tested and then carefully dismantled into a well
marked kit. *I am open to hearing that there is an equal or better
performer that would be easier to assemble for a height of only fifty
feet. *The positions I've read so far indicate a greater gain, a lower
take off angle at any given height, as well as a quieter receiving
performance for the quad. *Naturally I would prefer real world
experience to a theoretical discussion partially because I am not yet
well educated enough in antenna theory to fully understand the
theoretical arguments.

Sounds like the makings of a good antenna . I use a 4 element quads on
10 6 & 2 meters.