Old November 23rd 03, 11:45 PM
ddwyer

In article , Michael Black
writes
"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." ) writes:
I found some jellybeans (LM318TC) with 10 MHz GBW product and I plan to
play. Anyone have any tips for doing RF with jellybean ICs?

These might be a bit noisy for microvolt stuff, but I plan to start with
IF frequencies and move on as the play permits.

Also, anyone play with the new generation of fifty-cent jellybean 100+ MHz
amplifiers?

Those were pretty good thirty years ago, and even the late seventies, but
the LM318 is pretty puny at this point. Not only are there much better
op-amps, but you couldn't do all that much with the 10MHz spec (just more
than the 741 decades ago).

Plenty of 1GHz gbw opamps available 5 or so different (linear, Texas,
AD, MAXIM.) with 0.95uV/Hz so terminate in 50R high gbw means good gain
through to 100MHz .
Self oscillation can be a problem 50R directly in series with the o/p
helps.
For lowest noise cant beat high current discrete transistor.

ddwyer