Old December 20th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Sangean ATS-909 external antenna impedance??

"amdx" wrote in
:

www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?swl-longwires,47

Oh yeah.. Saw that one. That was what I had in mind. It irons the bumps
out. That guy mentions John Doty, his page was one of many I found while
looking for John Doty's DIY transformer plans. (Still not found those).

The way I see it (hopefully this is right) is that those deep level
variations really DO need smoothing out as described there, because they
represent signal loss greater than is likely to be caused by other errors
like basic mismatches, and possible overload at peaks as Europe has many
strong SW stations. Again, if I can use coax to increase SNR by reducing
noise out of nearby buildings, it reduces the problem to one of loss/gain.

As Anthony Alouitius StJohn Hancock pronounced: "Stone me, you've got to have
something to start with!". Not that I'd trust his judgement as a radio ham.

That's my plan for the other end of the wire though, the question is whether
I'll have trouble at the ATS-909 radio end if I use it. Though I guess the
antenna matcher (misnamed 'tuner' as IanT mentioned in his post) can help,
and probably further assist the business.

I'll probably try longwire straight to coax first just to see what results,
then an earth rod to ground the coax far end, and then the 9:1 transformer,
before considering the more complex adjustable impedance matcher though. Got
other problems like money and dodgy neighbour problems to solve first too,
which is why I'm saying more than doing right now (and gathering info). Once
I start doing, I need to minimise the actions so I don't have more than
reception issues to worry about.