Old December 20th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Sangean ATS-909 external antenna impedance??

In article ,
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

The way I see it (hopefully this is right) is that those deep level
variations really DO need smoothing out as described there, because they
represent signal loss greater than is likely to be caused by other errors
like basic mismatches, and possible overload at peaks as Europe has many
strong SW stations. Again, if I can use coax to increase SNR by reducing
noise out of nearby buildings, it reduces the problem to one of loss/gain.

Looking at it from the opposite angle, though: it's fairly common in
the HF bands for the signal level isn't the limiting factor in your
reception. Even an inefficiently-matched antenna can deliver enough
signal to overcome the self-noise of the front-end circuitry in your
receiver.

What limits your ability to receive, under these conditions, is band
noise and other spurious signals, which "drown out" the desired
signal. Improving the antenna matching wil have little or no benefit
in dealing with external noise. Neither will a preamp.

Now, using coax as a way of excluding some of the close-in interferers
isn't a bad idea at all. What you might want to consider doing, is
adding an active buffer at the longwire-to-coax feedpoint...
basically, a low-gain preamp (a few dB) designed to drive a 50-ohm
load efficiently and to overcome the (slight) signal losses in the
coax. Some people seem to favor the grounded-base or grounded-gate
broadband amplifier, as it has a modest gain, can be quite stable, and
has a good resistance to strong-signal overload. You could use a DC
inserter/block system to feed 9-12 volts up the same coax which
carries the signal down.

If you're really concerned about matching the resulting coax-carried
signal to your radio's antenna input, you could wind a fixed-ratio
broadband transformer with the correct impedance ratio.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO