Old December 20th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx amdx is offline

Default Sangean ATS-909 external antenna impedance??

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
"amdx" wrote in
:

Well most tuner/antenna matcher are designed to take the impedance that
the
antenna cable presents and transformer it to 50 ohms. Your problem is the
Sangean is probably not 50 ohms.

Ah, but in reverse? I don't know if this is good thinking, but if the
coax
IS 50 ohms, could I not put the 50 ohm connection onto the coax and tweak
the
other end (on the input instead of the coax) impedance by watching the
signal
strength meter on the receiver?

Ideally you would adjust the impedance of the antenna to match 50 ohms
then attach your 50 ohm coax, then connect to a 50 ohm receiver. (you don't
have)
But trying to adjust an antenna that is way out there (say 4000 ohms with
200 Reactance)
from the shack is not an easy task.

(Might be undeed according to posts people made earlier that suggest that
losses here might matter less than what happens on the longwire end of the
coax).

I'm in agreement with those that say just put up a wire and listen.
Then pick your favorite band and put up a resonant antenna and compare the
two.
Then your learning something.
Mike