Old December 26th 09, 10:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

Default Drake or AOR?

On 12/26/09 04:11 , Bill Baka wrote:
I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$ limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka

R-8(x) is not exactly a portable. Exceptional receiver but
you'll need some antenna, and a power supply. Intuitive controls. A
bit heavy for bike trips. Superb audio.

SW-8 is portable, and performs very well. Internal batteries, if
you'd like. But not terribly sensitive on the internal whip. That
can be improved, somewhat, by a trip to Drake. But still requires
some antenna. FM and Air band included. Superb audio, as well. Fits
well in a car. Easy to read display. Intuitive controls. Also a bit
heavy for bike trips.

AOR AR7030+...pricey. Can run you a kilobuck on the used market.
Compact. Stands toe to toe with the R8(x) in performance. Excellent
audio. The nested menu o/s not really for driving.

Now, one you've not mentioned, that's VERY portable, smaller and
lighter than the AOR, HIGHLY sensitive, works off battery power, and
a whip antenna, excellent audio....you can toss it into a backpack
for a bicycle trip and not feel it....Lowe HF-150. When you can find
one, it will be less expensive and a better general fit than your
other options. No lighted dial without modification.

Another small, and very nice performer, though not the best S/N
is AOR's AR3030. Sensitivity is good, but headroom is not on par
with the others. Small, lightweight, can run on batteries, sensitive
enough for a whip antenna. Intuitive controls, nice audio. Looks good.

For desktop operation, any of the 5. In order of performance:
R8(x), AR7030, HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

In the car, in order of performance: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For bike trips: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For general purpose/all applications: SW-8, HF-150.