Old December 26th 09, 11:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

Default Drake or AOR? Addendum

On 12/26/09 04:50 , D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 12/26/09 04:11 , Bill Baka wrote:
I'm looking for the supreme or next to supreme desktop radio so I can
use it in either my car, at home (no computer hookups planned), or maybe
on one of my long bicycle trips.
I have found the Drake R-8 and SW-8 and also a mention of the AOR but
none found yet.
Anybody got any opinions on this?
Remember, home, car, bicycle, random antennas and that kind of thing.
I have plenty of boatanchors (Vacuum state FETs) and one marine RDF that
peaks at just over 4.0 MHz. I have a new Super CB Royce but a CB on a
bicycle might get too many laughs.
I'm open to any suggestions as long as they are cheap. I'm $$$ limited.

Thanks,
Bill Baka

R-8(x) is not exactly a portable. Exceptional receiver but you'll need
some antenna, and a power supply. Intuitive controls. A bit heavy for
bike trips. Superb audio.

SW-8 is portable, and performs very well. Internal batteries, if you'd
like. But not terribly sensitive on the internal whip. That can be
improved, somewhat, by a trip to Drake. But still requires some antenna.
FM and Air band included. Superb audio, as well. Fits well in a car.
Easy to read display. Intuitive controls. Also a bit heavy for bike trips.

AOR AR7030+...pricey. Can run you a kilobuck on the used market.
Compact. Stands toe to toe with the R8(x) in performance. Excellent
audio. The nested menu o/s not really for driving.

Now, one you've not mentioned, that's VERY portable, smaller and lighter
than the AOR, HIGHLY sensitive, works off battery power, and a whip
antenna, excellent audio....you can toss it into a backpack for a
bicycle trip and not feel it....Lowe HF-150. When you can find one, it
will be less expensive and a better general fit than your other options.
No lighted dial without modification.

Another small, and very nice performer, though not the best S/N is AOR's
AR3030. Sensitivity is good, but headroom is not on par with the others.
Small, lightweight, can run on batteries, sensitive enough for a whip
antenna. Intuitive controls, nice audio. Looks good.

For desktop operation, any of the 5. In order of performance: R8(x),
AR7030, HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

In the car, in order of performance: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For bike trips: HF-150, SW-8, AR3030.

For general purpose/all applications: SW-8, HF-150.

One caveat about SW-8. The audio stage is unique. The finals
output is not referenced to ground. That is to say it's floating and
balanced. If you should accidently take one leg to ground, say in an
attempt to run the audio through the car's system, you blow the
audio stage. So, auto applications will require some care. Transform
the output and you're fine.

Not an issue if you use the receiver's internal speaker exclusively.