Old December 29th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default Advice on class-C modulated tube

There are two other ways of handling the screen voltage in a modulated stage.
The screen can be feed by a regulated voltage supply and a separate winding on
the modulation transformer is used to modulate the screen.

Unfortunately, as I had written, my transformer has a single secondary winding.

A variation on this is to put an audio choke in series with the screen supply
and to optionally couple the screen to the hot side of the plate modulator
winding via a capacitor.

Yes, I had seen that method too on the ARRL Handbook (as well as in the EIMAC
booklet), but I was trying to avoid the bulk of an extra choke.

Nevertheless, browsing the Internet, I found a dealer who sells 20H 50mA chokes
of reasonable size at a reasonable price. So, I am getting more and more
convinced that that is the way to go.

Still, I would be interested to hear from someone who has actually tried that
method.

Thanks & 73.

Tony I0JX