Old December 29th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SX-25 SX-25 is offline

Default Can't get much on Shortwave.

Ric...

I'm in Wisconsin too (near the U.P.) and having a ball with shortwave. Don't
listen to the baloney that the "golden days of shortwave are gone." Several
shortwave stations have went on the air this past year and numerous are
expanding their coverage. There is still a lot there but you'll need more
than a telescopic whip to do it. Telescopic whips NEVER were much of a
performer. Alligator clip a longwire...any length more than 20 feet and see
what you get. Everybody seems to have bought into the "if it's digital it is
an outstandinga piece of gear" crap. A lot of digital SW receivers are just
as deaf as their earlier ancestors which needed more than a bicycle spoke as
an antenna. You need to capture RF with something more than a whip.

Mr. Mendleson's explanation was the most accurate. We're in a period of
horrific sunspot inactivity and all the bands are dead.

As for hams, there's plenty of action from 3500 to 4000 kc with the
3500-3600 loaded every night with CW.
By the way, I can decode digital modes with my lowly little Grundig Yacht
Boy 400PE although the audio is, well, like most things of the cell phone
era are on music and voice; so I use old stuff.

Good luck and...enjoy...

WPE9GHF