Old January 8th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Gregg Gregg is offline

Default 4:1 or 9:1 Balun - How can you tell?

On Jan 7, 3:43*am, Wimpie wrote:
On 7 ene, 09:27, Gregg wrote:

A HAM friend of mine gave me a balun nine to ten years ago. I just
don't remember which one it was. I remember him saying that he was
giving me that particular balun in thinking that I would get my ticket
and eventually be transmitting on it.

I'm thinking it is a 4:1
Any help please. :-)

Hello Gregg,

Can you see the turns? If so, can you make a link to a picture and/or
figure out how the windings are connected. There are many
arrangements, so it is difficult to give you advise without knowing
what you have.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm almost embarrased to say this
because I think it is a balun. This is what it looks like
http://www.lowbander.com/sloper.html

I remember him telling me that one of the sides was "hot"....which
back then I didn't know what he meant....lol...but I do now, I just
don't know how to find out which side is hot.sigh

When you have access to some measurement equipment, you could measure
it. You can use the voltage transformation ratio or use a source with
VSWR indicator and adjust the load to lowest reading.

OK. I follow you but I don't.:-) You're talking to the challenged when
it comes to this.
I have one of those 'Digital Measuring Instruments' made by Escort. If
you could maybe either tell me exactly what side to touch or however
you do it....I'd really appreciate it.

I thought you would be able to tell me by me saying that he gave it to
me in "hopes that I would be TX off it"....apparently you can do that
with both the 4:1 and the 9:1??? I could have sworn thinking he said
it was a 4:1

You might search on "balun" with "guanella" this will show many useful
links that will help you to do the determination based on visual
inspection.

OK. Good deal. I never heard of the word "guanella" before - - but
I'll check it out and I'll check to see if you responded back and try
to figure it out. I don't plan on TX off it, but I'd sure like to use
it for some type of antenna like that link I provided for you.

Thanks a bunch for your help, it's appreciated. :-)