Old November 27th 03, 03:45 AM
The Eternal Squire

Default would like advice on idea for class E SSB Exciter

Hi,

I'm considering making a class E amplifier for single-sideband output, but
from what I
understand, modulating the plate voltage produces double-sideband. I'd like
avoid that if I can.

I'm thinking of taking regular audio, digitally processing it into
single-sideband using a
soundcard, and then digitizing that to 8-bits.

I'd then create 8 class E amplifiers that put out 1/8w, 1/4w, 1/2w, 1w, 2w,
4w, 8w,
and 16 watt outputs for the same signal; modulating each one as CW in
accordance
with the audio bit.

I'd combine the outputs through a power combiner.

Questions:

1) Would this scheme be possible for creating SSB by parallel switching of
CW
amplifiers in accordance with a digitized audio signal?

2) Would I need to create assymetrical power combiners to combine the
amplitudes
of the different signals, or could I get away with simply making a
symmetrical
8-way combiner.

Thanks in advance,

The Eternal Squire