Old November 29th 03, 06:34 AM
gudmundur

In article ,
says...

Hi,

I'm considering making a class E amplifier for single-sideband output, but
from what I
understand, modulating the plate voltage produces double-sideband. I'd like
avoid that if I can.

I'm thinking of taking regular audio, digitally processing it into
single-sideband using a
soundcard, and then digitizing that to 8-bits.

Base audio has no sidebands, it is monoband so to speak. It does not become
sideband until you modulate a carrier, remove the carrier, and possibly also
remove one sideband. Even if you simulate this process in a sound card, which
can be done, and you produce the 'garbly' sound, you still have 'audio' which
when impressed upon your transmit carrier will still create normal double
sideband modulation. The only way to get the result you are looking for would
either to be taking your digitally generated single sideband and run it through
a doubly balanced mixer with your intended carrier frequency, or perhaps
digitally mixing your digital sound source with a digital representation of a
sinewave who's repetition rate is the same as your intended carrier frequency.
Your digital power output idea is a good one however.