Old January 24th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
sorry-spammers sorry-spammers is offline

Default jury rigged vhf receiver

JIMMIE wrote:
I was wanting to listen to VHF/UHF SSB. All of my present UHF/VHF
radios are FM. I was thinking of rigging up a simple downconverter
using a mini circuit mixer and my HP signal generator as the local
oscilator that I can connect in front of my HF rig. I have an antenna
mounted pre- amp that I think should suffice for my front end. Any
foreseeable problems short of keying my transmitter while it is
connected.

Just as an experiment, I once used the mixer & LO in one of my FM rigs. Just tapped the output of the mixer just before the IF filter, ran it through
a DC-blocking capacitor out to the antenna input of a general-coverage HF receiver. Tuned the HF rig to 10.7MHz - sure enough, there were the 2m SSB
(and CW) signals. Worked pretty well.

It was pretty cumbersome to tune though. Luckily, almost everyone around here is within 5KHz of 144.200...

Didn't take long to get the urge to transmit, at which point I wimped out & bought a multimode rig...

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66