Old January 30th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Remarkably Small Antennas - Fact or Fiction

Roger wrote:

Roy,

Here is a paper describing the feedpoint impedance and how they
counteract the capacitive reactance without the typical matching
network.

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~ziolkows..._July_2006.pdf

A number of other papers on these antennas are located he

http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~ziolkows...0Antennas.html

I look forward to your feedback and the comments by others on this
subject,

Roger

Thanks very much for the additional information. It's very good news
indeed, and the first I've heard of anyone being able to do this. My
so-far 100% reliable antenna rule of "Small-Broadband-Efficient: Choose
Any Two" might finally be broken. My "fiction" judgment was based on the
initial description which sounded so much like so many I've heard over
the years. I amend it to "Sure looks promising", since it looks like
they've finally really attacked one of the fundamental limitations in a
way that might bear fruit. A career in electronic equipment product
development has taught me that there's a vast distance between getting
something to work once in a lab and building them by the thousands out
of real parts and having them all work as specified. The path between is
full of surprises and obstacles, most of which can be overcome but
sometimes some which simply can't. I sure hope this can be developed to
the point of practicality. An encouraging factor is that there's a real
market for efficient, electrically small antennas in things like RFID
tags and keychain remote control units, to name just a couple. This
means that money will be available for development.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL