Old February 11th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Hazer for Utility Pole?

wrote:

John, I think my ropes are dacron, as mentioned. That stuff really
lasts!!!! I still have two dacron sweaters my mother bought for me
when I started high school back in 1953. Still fit and have never worn
out. I haven't seen dacron ropes for a long time.

Paul, KD7HB

Sure, you've seen Dacron ropes, just not under that name. Dacron is a
trade name for a particular form of Polyethylene Terephthalte (PET), aka
Polyester. Beverage bottles are a big use of PET, but a lot more winds
up as fabric or rope. In film form, one trade name is Mylar.
(originally, it was called Terylene, but Dupont called it Dacron,
probably because it sounded better, and it was similar to Nylon, another
Dupont product..)

You see it labeled as "polyester" rope these days (probably because
DuPont's patents have expired, so anyone can make the stuff, but only
DuPont can call it Dacron)