Old February 20th 10, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Mark Roberts[_2_] Mark Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default KSTN, Stockton, Calif., leaving the air

H/T to Thomas Groom for the following link to the Stockton Record,
which reports that longtime Stockton station KSTN will leave the
air tonight after more than 60 years on the air:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/100219834

The report also says that KSTN-FM, currently a regional Mexican station, will
switch Monday to a contemporary Christian format.

The stations are still locally owned. KSTN(AM) was one of the last
AM stations doing a CHR format, later moving to what it called a
"power oldies" format with an unusually eclectic playlist for an
oldies station.

It wasn't possible for me to determine from my Bay Area location
tonight whether the station was on the air; the 1420 kHz signal
did not make it far into the Bay Area, whether day or night.
Still, it was a distinctive and local voice, far too rare in an era
of corporate repeater radio.

--
Mark Roberts - E-Mail address is valid but I don't use Google Groups
If you quote, please quote only relevant passages and not the whole article.